Moscow: tipo-lit. V.G. Dempel’, 1892. Item #881
58 pp., 1 ill., 8 leaves of advertisement. 22,5x14,5 cm. In original printed covers. Small fragments of spine lost, some soiling and foxing, otherwise very good.
First and only edition. This is a public lecture by pharmacist Arkadii Semenov promoting the emancipation of women in pharmaceutics.
The process of abolishing the male monopoly in the Russian pharmacy business went almost the entire 19th century. After the 1870-1880s government decrees, women could be engaged in pharmaceutical activities, but there was no chance for any theoretical education. This book was written under the impression the author gain teaching nurses of Pokrovsky Community of Sisters of Mercy. He proved by numerous names that initial and main role in medicine belonged to women from ancient times. He voted for pharmacy courses that women would be able to attend. The debates were won at the end of the century. The women’s pharmaceutical courses began to open in Russia in 1899. This issue was actively raised by Antonina Lesnevskaia,
pioneer of female professional pharmaceutics and founder of the Women’s Pharmacy in St. Petersburg. The opening ceremony was held in 1901. The pharmacy had the most advanced equipment and a goodlooking interior. Only women aged 16–26 years worked in it, including pharmacists, pharmacist assistants and students. The following year Lesnevskaia established 2-year Women Pharmaceutical School. For ten years, 198 women graduated from her school and 14 of them became pharmacists. Since 1914, the courses of Women’s Pharmaceutical School lasted four years and it awarded the status of a pharmaceutical institute.
Worldcat shows the only paper copy in National Library of Medicine.