Mstera: N. Golyshev, 1879. Item #173
, 6 p., 21 ill. 41.5x29 cm. Original cloth. The title page is lithographed as well as illustrations. Good condition. The label of the pre-revolutionary Architecture Society on the endpaper as well as the bookplate of Maria Pribylova. Good condition overall, some soiling
(result of turning the pages).
Ivan Alexandrovich Golyshev (1838-1897) was the self-educated peasant who started small lithography in Vladimir region in 1858. He
was born as a serve but after the liberation managed to run a successful business printing mostly leaflets and luboks for people. He also was a well-recognized archeologist of the day wrote more than 500 articles on history, ethnography, concerning old icons and crafts. His main field was everything concerning his region - Vladimir. He created all illustrations for this album. Only 300-400 copies were printed. All of the churches pictured here are either destroyed or rebuilt now.