[Tashkent]: Izd. V. Pirogovskogo: T-vo “Aziia”, 1913. 64,9x86,5 cm. Backed on cloth. Fragments along folds lost, edges worn occasionally, small tears and creases, otherwise good.
Compiled as of April 1, 1913. Scale is approximately 1:8500. In Russian.
The city plan features mosques, madrasas, street markets, civil buildings, fortresses, tram routes in use and under construction, a railroad, military barracks and a residence of a military governor, a prison, monuments, etc., as well as location of an observatory without its building scheme drawn. Tashkent and surrounding lands were annexed by the Russian Empire in 1865. Since 1867, it had been the main city of the Syrdarya region and the Turkestan governor-general. At that time, a new part of the city was founded and separated from the old city by the Anhor Canal. This map displays both parts, expanded by the early 20th century. The central part of the map demonstrates a fortress on the left bank of the Anhor Canal (now demolished). It was built by General M. G. Chernyaev after the occupation of Tashkent by Russian troops in 1865. The fortress was built to dominate the old city and provide protection for the new European part under construction. Until about the mid-1970s, houses of military personnel were preserved on the territory. Then a children’s park was organized on the territory of the former fortress. According to the map, the bed of the Chirchik river was straightened later. The map shows how it looked before Bolshevik’s invasion.