[St. Petersburg], 1827. Large folding copper engraved wall map 106x129,5 cm, borders outlined in colour. The map was published on two sheets, each of them with a printed number (24 and 25) and an additional title (‘‘Detailed map of South America. Part 1’’ and ‘‘… Part 2’’) on the upper margin; mounted on cloth and dissected into 32 compartments. Insert in the right lower corner 32x28,5 cm showing Patagonia and Falkland Islands. Two printed labels on the left margin. Housed in a period custom made marbled papered folder and a slipcase with marbled papered boards and green gilt tooled sheep spine; slipcase 29,5x20 cm. Spine with gilt lettered title ‘‘Map of North America. 4’’. Paper age toned, several minor holes on the upper margin where the map was hung on a wall, traces of two removed stamps, two ink stains on verso, slipcase rubbed, otherwise a very good map.
Early large Russian map of South America published by the Imperial Depot of Military Topography (1812-1863), which supervised all astronomical and topographical survey in Russia, and publication of maps and atlases. The map shows the continent from the Panama Isthmus to Terra del Fuego, with Galapagos, Juan Fernandes and Falkland Islands; Spanish, Portuguese, French, Dutch, and English possessions, as well as the territory of Patagonia are outlined in colour. Being an independent work on its own, the map was published the same year with the map of North America which together comprise a map of the Western Hemisphere. The map is densely annotated and marks the main cities, towns and settlements, provinces, mountains, rivers and lakes, territories of particular native tribes, and deposits of various ores and minerals (silver, copper, iron, tin, lead, amethysts and emeralds).