Leningrad: Akademicheskoie izdatel’stvo, 1925. Item #798
72 pp.: ill. 23,5x16 cm. In original illustrated wrappers. Partly uncut. Few tears of covers, small fragments of the spine lost, Soviet bookshop stamp, otherwise very good.
First and only edition. One of 3000 copies. Very rare.
Cover design by Leonid Khizhinskii (1896-1972), the Soviet artist who studied in VKhUTEIN under D. Mitrokhin and V. Konashevich and contributed to the book design.
This book promoted a utopian idea of garden cities in Russia. Raising the issue of worker housing hygiene, professor Viacheslav Ivanov (1877-1935) suggested the garden cities as the most successful solution. Ivanov wanted to develop the idea in the Soviet Union and outlined his view on the city’s area, urban planning, water supply and sewerage, its quantity and quality.
Overall eight settlements were constructed in Russia basing on Howard’s idea: villages Sokol, Druzhba, Zhukovskii near Moscow, Krasny garden city near Rostov on Don, Octiabr’sky garden village near Vologda, The First and Second Worker Villages near Ivanovo.
The plans to create Sokol garden village turned up in the early 20th century but was stopped by revolutions. In 1923 the construction was continued and architects N. Markovnikov, Vesniny brothers, N. Kolli, A. Shchusev and others were involved into planning the single-family houses. In the late 1920s, this concept was criticized, the buildings were nationalized. The area became well-known as Village of Artists because of the streets named after Russian artists. The First and Second Worker Villages were planned for enlarged number of workers of the textile factories in Ivanovo, they were built in 1924-1928. Later, in the 1929, the garden cities of two-story buildings were declared economically insolvent because the rent was very high and burdensome for the workers. The cheaper houses appeared in the settlements, for example, a large constructivist residential complex “House of Collective” was designed by architect I. Golosov and built in the First Worker Village.
Actually, the professor Ivanov chose Pulkovo as an ideal place for the garden city under Leningrad but now the airport located there.
The only copy located in Canadian Centre for Architecture.