[Irkutsk: Ispolnitel’nyi Komitet Irkutskogo Gorsoveta, 1920]. One typeset leaf. 35x20,5 cm. Tears of edges with tiny losses, some creases, otherwise very good.
Extremely rare survival of time and a glimpse into the very beginning of the Communist changes. During the Civil War Irkutsk was an epicenter of political unrest in Siberia, being under the rule of Whites and Reds. In 1920, the Bolsheviks had come to absolute power and began to reconstruct the local life. Half of the streets, squares, parks and suburbs of Irkutsk lost their historical names for agitational purposes.
Overall 70 names were changed. Some results were general: called after Lenin, Trotsky, October Revolution, the 3rd International. Each Trotsky street was no doubts short living. Irkutsk renamed this street twice throughout the Soviet period: Trotsky (1920) and Dzerzhinsky (1929) - and overall 15 Soviet streets in different dwellings underwent the same process. Besides, Voznesensky suburb was called after Zinov’ev until this politician was executed in 1936. At the same time, there were symbolic changes, for example, Dvorianskaia (Noble) street was renamed into Rabochaia (Workers’) street. And the curious one: Institutskaia (Institute) street became Detskaia (Children’s one). All in all, the great document of the provincial government in the early Soviet state.
Not in the Worldcat.