St. Petersburg, 1913. 58 pp.: ill., 9 ills. 21x15,5 cm. In original illustrated covers. Some stains on covers, otherwise very good and clean internally.
First and only edition. Extremely rare with no copies in Worldcat.
Interesting evidence of the early period of orthopedic surgery in Russia. In contrast to other institutions printed yearbooks regularly, this clinic published the only album of its kind.
Separating from general surgery in the 19th century, the Russian academic study of orthopedics started to include practical classes with patients only by the 1900s. The first clinic of this kind was established by professor Henrich Turner (1858-1941) at Saint Petersburg Military Medical Academy in 1900. Organized by him and students, the clinic expanded its activity and treated patients from the whole country. Turner first raised the issue of the state treatment of children with deformities and practiced it at this clinic. 12 photographs of patients with deformities accompany text and are printed on the front wrapper.
The book overviews history and contemporary activity of the clinic, its water supply and heating systems, level of sterilization. Report of statistical data of patients, lists of medical staff and temporary workers as well as a list of scientific works of the staff were published. During this 13-year period of the clinic practice, Turner wrote 48 articles and reports for medical magazines. The edition contains 7 photographs of the clinic facade and its rooms, as well as 5 floor plans.