[THE SOCIALIST ZIONISM] Di ḳlasen-inṭeresen un di natsionale frage [i.e. Class Interests and the National Question]
Kiev: Der hamer, 1917. Item #1226
38,  pp. 21x14 cm. No covers. In a good condition, the lower inner corner chipped.
Second edition of the major work by a leading member of the Labor Zionist movement, Dov Ber Borochov (1881-1917). The first edition was published in Vilna in 1906.
In 1900, he joined the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party but it didn’t satisfy him in regards to the Jewish problems. Borochov sought to merge socialism and Zionism and was expelled from the RSDLP when he formed a Zionist Socialist Workers Union in Yekaterinoslav. He devoted all his 36-year life to the synthesis of socialism and Zionism. For Jewish people, he demanded to blend the class struggle and nationalism.
Ber Borochov was the person who formed ideological principles of Poale Zion groups and spread them in Yiddish. Poale Zion organizations were started across the Jewish diasporas in the USA, Canada, England, Austria, Palestine in the 1900s. In 1906, Borochov and Yitzhak Ben-Zvi founded Poale Zion on the territory of the Russian Empire and promoted its principles worldwide. In particular, Borochov was active in organizing new branches in different countries. After the February Revolution in 1917, Borochov hurried to return to Russia but hadn’t seen the development of the party in new circumstances because of the disease. He died in Kiev and the second edition of his work came out there the same year.
The Russian branch suffered a major split in August 1919, when a dissident group formed the Jewish Communist Party (Poalei Zion). After it had merged into the Communist Party in 1922, Poalei Zion changed its name to the Jewish Communist Labour Party. Its Yiddish organ ‘Der proletarisher gedank’ (Proletarian Thought) was published in Moscow in 1926-1927, replacing a periodical ‘Evreiskaia proletarskaia mysl’ (Jewish Proletarian Thought; 1920-1926). The party was banned by Soviet authorities and dissolved in 1928. (Wikipedia)
The only copy of this edition is located in Yivo Institute.