Oryol: Tipografiia “Trud”, [1965-70s]. 56x37,5 cm. Small fragment of lower edge and tears restored. Very good.
Very rare colorful provincial print. One of 300 copies.
Soviet watch production was launched in the 1930s. Two American bankrupts ‘Duber Hempton’ and ‘Ansonia’ were sold to the USSR and there turned into the First and Second Watch Factories in Moscow.
The Oryol watch factory ‘Yantar’ (logo “OCHZ”) was founded in 1950. It debuted with a batch of OCHZ alarm clocks released in 1952. Oryol craftsmen assembled alarm clocks from details that were supplied from the Second Moscow Watch Factory. Later a design bureau and a woodworking shop were opened at the Oryol factory. Thus, wall clocks ‘Yantar’ in an elegant wooden case appeared and soon gave the name to the whole factory. During the post-war shortage, when many watch factories were converted to the production of military products or were completely in ruins, OChZ clocks were in great demand.
Over time it mastered the full production cycle and also began to produce watches with quartz movements. Since 1958, OCHZ had been increasing the production of watches of various modifications. It produced alarms, large-sized floor, wall and table mechanical and quartz clocks. Watches ‘Yantar’ in wooden cases were extremely
popular and were delivered abroad. The Oryol watch factory ‘Yantar’ was a leader in the production of large interior clocks but also alarm clocks that were going at the level of the currency.