Leningrad: 1931. Item #1808
28,5x20,5 cm. In original wrappers-folder with letterpress design on front cover and two illustrations on flap of back cover and back cover itself. Tears of spine and front cover, small corner of back cover lost, soiling of wrappers, tears of pages along spine folding, edges of some leaves chipped, otherwise good and clean internally.
One of 2000 copies produced. We have found the only issue of this magazine.
This extremely rare periodical was released by one of the Leningrad cultural centers during the enormously expedited industrialization in the USSR. It is the Moscow-Narva House of Culture named after Gorky. Its contemporary photo is printed on the back cover.
In 1927, this constructivist House of Culture was built by A. Gegello and D. Krichevsky in the Moscow-Narva district. It became the first large-scale building of a new public type in the city and in the country in general. A concert hall was supplemented by premises for various clubs. Cultural workers were entertainers, organizers of club activities, propagandists, mediums between the party and working masses, creators of wall newspapers. Cultural workers were those who promoted ideology, enthusiasm for socialist construction. Employees of this House of Culture were responsible for propaganda among factory workers of the Moscow-Narva district. In particular, they stimulated workers to overfulfill production tasks with lectures, posters, performances, etc. They also patronaged ideologically loyal factory workers whose input made the propaganda more effective.
The edition features photographs of impressive and topical posters produced at the House of Culture. They visualized Stalin’s quotes, exposed slackers and idlers through their photos completed with satirical drawings, mocked defendants of the 1931 Menshevik Trial. Apart from posters, the issue published pictures of participants of public events, children in specialized rooms, shock-working women in work, exhibitions held.
Worldcat doesn’t track this edition.