St. Petersburg: Typ. of M. Stasyulevich, 1906. Item #318
, xii, 521 pp. 25x17,5 cm. With a large folding lithographed map and over thirty illustrations in text. Title page in Russian and French. In original publisher’s wrappers, rebacked with similar paper. Faded previous owner’s ink inscription on the title page, wrappers with minor tears of extremities, otherwise a very good partly uncut copy.
First and only edition. Very rare and interesting early Russian description of the west coast of Kamchatka by Vladimir Tyushov (1866-1936), the senior doctor of the Petropavlovsk district and a resident of Kamchatka for eighteen years (1894-1912). The book is based on his regular official travels, mostly in 1896-1898, and describes the route from Petropavlovsk to Tigil village (north-west coast of Kamchatka, on the Tigil River) via Apacha Bolsheretsk, Vorovskoye villages, Oblukovina and Ichinskaya Rivers, Sopochnoye, Moroshechnoye, Belogolovoye, Khairuzovo, Kavran, and
Utkholok villages. This is one of the first special works about the west coast of Kamchatka, with important original information about the native population of Kamchatka – ‘‘the first after the classic work by Krasheninnikov attempt to portray a Kamchadal as a human being’’ (Preface), characteristics of the tundra of western Kamchatka, volcanoes and mountain ranges, hot springs, hunting and fishing, salmon and other local fish, bears, cases of syphilis in Kamchatka, harmful influence of Russian settlers on the native population, Kamchadal language (with a short dictionary), native astronomy, and others.
The preface was written by a prominent Russian and Polish geographer and traveller Karol Bohdanowicz (1867-1947) who had surveyed gold deposits of the coast of the Sea of Okhotsk and western Kamchatka in 1895-1898. The book is supplemented with an index of geographical names and a large folding map of Kamchatka which was prepared by Bogdanovich and a member of his expedition, navigator Nikolay Lelyakin in 1901. Tyushov took part in the first census in Kamchatka in 1897, and opened the first hospital in Petropavlovsk in 1909.
Worldcat locates only six copies.