Leningrad: Gosudartsvennyi Ermitazh, 1934. Item #537
, 70, ,  pp.: ill., 15 pl. 17x12 cm. In publisher’s printed wrappers. Wrappers detached from the text block, small tears of the spine and wrappers rubbed in general, pen marks on the front cover and t.p. Otherwise a good and internally clean copy.
First and only edition. One of 3000 copies. Scarce. Half-title with title in French.
The moving exhibition was organized by professor and artist Xu Beihong (1895-1953) who came with the exhibition to the USSR. The 1934 exhibition was the first exhibition entirely devoted to Chinese painting. The exhibition presented old and new Chinese classical art. Prior to that, neither in imperial Russia, nor after the construction of such exhibitions, was it arranged. It was in a great demand both in Moscow and Leningrad.
The catalogue includes 339 items by more than 100 painters and a few items from Hermitage collection (paintings, ceramics, porcelain, carpets). All items are divided into thematical categories and then into artist. Each artist’s name in Russian and Chinese with an indicition of birth place and sometimes education. Two introductions by Xu Beihong and V.M. Alekseev, a prominent Russian philologist-sinologist.
Chinese exhibitions held in the USSR since the 1930s, performed not only cultural participation, but also the political task of developing relations between countries.