[Moscow]: Ob-vo russkikh skul’pturov, 1929. Item #669
14 pp.: ill. 22,15 cm. In original wrappers. Near fine.
Very rare. One of 1000 copies. The catalogue for the 3rd exhibition (of only 4 held by the Society) that was held in 1929 includes introduction “ORS in 1929” by A. Bakushinsky (short history of the society and its current state), a numbered list of 82 works organized by artists in alphabetical order (first real members and then a few participants not from society), a list of members with their current posts (chairman I.M. Chaikov). Among members were Vatagin, Sandomirskaya, Chaikov, Shadr and others.
The Society (ORS) was founded in 1926 by former members of the Moscow Union of Artists and Sculptors. The impetus for the creation was the success of the sculptural department of the OBIS exhibition held in early 1925. The Society consisted of almost all famous Moscow sculptors, and their ranks was regularly replenished by the graduates of the sculpture faculty of Vkhutemas-Vkhutein. About 20 people were constantly members, 10-15 more sculptors were involved as exhibitors (candidates). Many participants were simultaneously members of other societies and unions: Korolev and Kepinov - OMH, Chaikov - ‘‘4 iskusstva’’, Shadr - AHRR; however, the ORS flourished tolerance for various trends in art (including the ‘‘left’’). The meetings were held mainly in the workshop of Ryndziunskaia. Reports were read and discussed on the problems of sculpture like Ternovets made a report «On Contemporary Sculpture in the West», architect Konstantin Melnikov with a report «On Cooperation of Sculptors and Architects in Contemporary Construction». The ORS didn’t have a program but they were determined to strengthened position of sculpture as an independent art genre and paid a lot of attention to raising the level of professionalism. The Society held 4 exhibitions: in March-April 1926 (the State Historical Museum), in April 1927 (the Museum of the Revolution), in June 1929 and June 1931 (both - the Pushkin Museum), which were partly financed by Glavnauka. The exhibition committee was engaged in selection of works for the exhibitions, at different times it included Vatagin, Efimov, Zlatovratsky, Chaikov, Domogatsky, Mukhina.
Since the late 1920s, the ORS was attacked by Proletkult theorists for lack of ‘ideological content’ and adherence to ‘bourgeois’ forms of ‘sculpture’. In the spring of 1932, the Society was liquidated.
Worldcat doesn’t locate any copies.